Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Meatless Monday- Broiled Portabellas with Caramelized Onions

As much as I like my vegetarian meals, this weekend I found myself craving something different from my usual fare of lentils and quinoa.

To change it up I bought some mushrooms to make stuffed portabella caps, but the thing is, I always make stuffed caps.  So I thought to myself, lets try something new.


I'm so glad I did!  Although the ingredients for this meal are simple, the flavors are complex and deep.  The creamy caramelized onions pair well with the slightly springy mushroom, and the components are complimentary rather than combative.

All in all the experiment was a succes, and one I'm sure I'll recreate soon.


Broiled Portabellas with Caramelized Onions

Ingredients

For the onions:  2 large yellow onions, sliced into thin half rainbows
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
kosher salt 
 freshly ground black pepper
fresh thyme, 3-4 sprigs

For the mushrooms:  2 large portabella caps
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
juice of 1/2 a lemon
kosher salt
freshly ground black pepper
fresh thyme, 3-4 sprigs

Directions

1.  In a large skillet melt the butter with the olive oil over medium high heat.  Once hot, add the onions, stirring to coat evenly.  Salt and pepper.  Continue cooking onions over medium high heat, stirring occasionaly, until caramelized.  Deglaze the pan with water as needed.  This will take about 35 minutes.
2.  When the onions are almost fully cooked stir in the fresh thyme leaves, and adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
3.   Turn your broiler on high, and move a rack into the highest position.  Cut the mushromms into 1/2 inch think slices and place in an oven safe baking dish.  Toss with the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, thyme, and then salt and pepper to taste.  Broil for 5-7 minutes until cooked.
4.  Plate by placing half of the onions on a dish, and top with half of the mushroom slices.  Serves 2.




Check out the Things that may you say: "Mmm.." link party!  

1 comment:

  1. I've never had anything like this, it looks pretty good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...