Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

WIAW nineteen-greenhorn gourmande goes green

Happy WIAW everyone!

As I'm sure most of you know, this month WIAW is going green:





I did my best, and I managed to eat something green every single meal!

As always check out Peas and Crayons to see what Jenn (the hostess with the mostest) and all the other WIAWers have eaten this week.  

This week has been full of excitement.  I finally, after NINE MONTHS of searching, have found full-time employment!  Who has two thumbs and a position as a project manager at a translation company?

This guy!!!



 (Okay, imagine me pointing at myself with my thumbs.)

Enough of my yammering, lets get to the eats!

Breakfast:




Spinach, Cheddar, and Bacon Drop Biscuits- These lovelies were accompanied by copious amounts of black coffee, an orange, and a square of dark chocolate.

I made these this morning (errr.. Tuesday morning) with the odds and ends in my fridge.  The recipe was inspired by a zucchini and cheddar drop biscuit I made pretty much constantly last summer.  I assure you that once zucchini is back in season, I will make a post on these biscuits from the gods.  In the meantime you can find the recipe for their spinach filled (and equally awesome) brethren <<here>>.

Lunch:





Caramelized Onion and Mushroom Spaghetti with Garlicy Balsamic Green Beans

The pasta, leftover from dinner last night, was super delicious, but to be quite honest I was more impressed with my beans.  Although they have humble origins (the freezer case at TJ's), they attained a level of awesomeness that I had previously thought impossible for frozen vegetables.  

Garlicky Balsamic Green Beans

Ingredients
2 cups frozen green beans
garlic powder 
salt
pepper
splash of balsamic

Directions
1.  Place the green beans in a nonstick pan over medium heat.  Cover and let cook until beans are defrosted.  Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste.  Let cook until heated through and most of the moisture has evaporated.  Add a small splash of balsamic vinegar, and stir to combine.  Dig in.


Snack:





Vegetable juice spiked with Tabasco and stirred/garnished with a celery stalk.  

I know it's such an old people thing to drink vegetable juice, but god damn I love me some salty tomato water.


Dinner:




Baked Sweet Potato with Goat Cheese and Mâche, Roasted Beet, and Goat Cheese Salad

I'm so bummed the picture didn't come out better on this one.  The beets really made this dish look super colorful and pretty.  At any rate the salad was delicious.  Mâche is one of my favorite greens that I was first introduced to during my JYA in Paris.  The leaves are tender and slightly bitter, without even the faintest taste of sulfur that I sometimes find in spinach.  The roasted beets and goat cheese are kind of a no-brainer, and the sweet potato was inspired by past WIAW's!

All in all it was a very tasty day filled with green.  Thanks for stopping by, and have a happy hump day!


2 comments:

  1. Wow lots of green and may I say lots of deliciousness!

    Your Spinach, Cheddar, and Bacon Drop Biscuits look amazing, what a fantastic breakfast. You can't have a bad day after starting out with those!

    The pasta also looks so delicious, the green beans sound like a brilliant accompaniment.

    Lastly congratulations on the job!! I hope everything goes well :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...