Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WIAW thirteen- A Brand New Wednesday!!

Happy WIAW everyone!!!




Meyer Lemons- Part of a complete breakfast!




This week's eats are particularly special because they all feature ingredients that I've never cooked with before.  I love trying new recipes, and I really love attempting ones that use ingredients that I've never worked with.  Even better yet, is when they exceed your expectations- which all of these recipes did.  See the eats after the jump!


Breakfast:

Meyer Lemon Muffins

So I had one of these beauties for breakfast with a side of Greek yogurt and a cup o' joe.  I cannot recommend these enough.  Check out the <<recipe>>.  You won't regret it.



Lunch:

Slow Braised Turkey Drumsticks

A couple of weeks ago Whole Foods had some turkey legs for a ridiculous price (like $.89lb which is insane in NYC), so I bought a pack.  They sat in my freezer forlorn and neglected, because I had no idea how to cook the damn things.  I finally got off my lazy duff and looked up a recipe.  Seriously, this might be one of the best things I've ever made.  The best way to describe it is as turkey pot roast.  Succulent, falling off the bone, and swimming in a sauce that you literally want to drink.  Recipe coming soon.  I swear.   


Dinner:

Spicy Black Eyed Peas

So this was probably the most 'new' of the day.  I vaguely remember eating black eyed peas on one occasion as a child (at a restaurant named after the legume no less).  I don't think I hated them, but I definitely was not impressed.  Recently I had been eyeing them in the bulk food bins, and I finally decided to take the plunge.  I'm so glad I did.  These are delicious!  Not to mention incredibly easy to make-  see for yourself.

Spicy Black Eyed Peas adapted from Sassafras Cafe

Ingredients

1 tbsp oil (I used bacon grease!)
5 cloves of garlic, peeled and smashed
1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1-2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (you can seed them if you don't like the heat)
1lb pinto beans
1 vegetable bouillon cube
2 bay leaves
4 cups water
6-7 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
4 slices of bacon, cooked and chopped
5 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1.  In a large pot or dutch oven heat the oil over medium heat.  Add the garlic, tomatoes, and jalapenos stirring until fragrant and slightly softened- about 3 minutes.
2.  Add the beans, water, bouillon, bay leaves and bring to a boil, stirring to combine.  Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for an hour and a half.
3.  Next smash some of the peas to thicken the mixture to desired consistency.  Add the thyme and cook an additional ten minutes.  Finally add the lemon juice, bacon, and green onions; stir to combine.  Salt and pepper to taste.  

This hearty one pot wonder is ridiculously easy and the depth of flavor is out of control.  The garlic and jalapenos pretty much just melt into the beans, and the pop from the lemon and green onion really keep it balanced.

Happy hump day y'all.  Be sure to stop over at peas and crayons to see Jenn and all the other WIAW's work!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...